The first-ever PlayCleanGo Awareness Week is taking place June 1–8, 2019 with events across North America!
As we get our gear out for the fun summer season of camping and outdoor adventures, will you pledge to take this week to learn all about invasive species and how they spread, become an expert at cleaning yourself, your gear, and your furry friends after your outside time, and take this opportunity to teach your friends?
June 1–8 was chosen for PlayCleanGo Awareness Week to coincide with National Trails Day (June 1), World Environment Day (June 5), and National Get Outdoors Day (June 8).
Here’s a refresher on 10 things you can do to stop the spread of invasive species during PlayCleanGo Awareness Week and year-round:
- Clean your footwear with a boot brush
- Remove invasive plants and dispose properly
- Pick seeds and burrs off of clothes and gear
- Clean mud and seeds from your dog
- Don’t move firewood: buy it where you burn it
- Hose your bike or ATV with water or compressed air
- Boaters: clean, drain, dry, dispose
- Feed your horse weed-free certified hay
- Clean your horse’s hooves, mane, and tail
- Take the PlayCleanGo Pledge at www.playcleango.org/pledge
PlayCleanGo Awareness Week is the perfect opportunity to get your community involved in stopping the spread of invasive species. Here are 10 ideas for events you can organize.
- Organize a weed pull or flower planting at a local park, church or nursing home. Remember to plant native or non-invasive species!
- Plan a trail hike, stay on marked trails, and end with swiping your feet at a boot brushing station (share photos on social media with #PlayCleanGoWeek)
- Sponsor a bike trail-ride with a washing station at the end
- Hold a community bonfire using only local-firewood
- Cool off with a kayak trip on the river or a boating adventure! Don’t forget to clean, drain, dry, and dispose before leaving the landing.
- Offer horseback trail rides and demonstrate how to clean a horse’s mane, tail, and hooves
- Post selfies of your team cleaning your gear on Facebook and share them with the PlayCleanGo Facebook Page
- Host a local event and hand out PlayCleanGo materials
- Work with your local media to publicize your work (use the PlayCleanGo radio PSA and local news release template)
- Add your event to the PlayCleanGo interactive events map! Just submit your event details using this simple form.
You can also help show the world how having fun outdoors and stopping the spread of invasive species overlap: as you see your community get involved during PlayCleanGo Awareness Week, please take a moment to snap some photos and enter them in the #PlayCleanGoTakeAction Contest. Here's how:
- LIKE PlayCleanGo on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
- POST a photo of you or your team TAKING ACTION during PlayCleanGo Awareness Week, June 1-8, on your Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account. (For ideas, see our list above!)
- Your post must include #PlayCleanGoTakeAction and TAG @playcleango in your photo for extra points!